Monday, July 23, 2007

Il pleut dans mon coeur



And there is no Rimbaud at the end.

No decking of the halls at House of Pants with Buddy Holly either.

Quelle est cette langueur?

Il est le British summer. Arrrrggghhh!

Okay so now I’ve got that off my chest, let’s talk about weather. You will note from the view above taken from a strategic House of Pants turret on Friday, ‘torrential’ rain by which I mean water delivered in very un-British quantities. This is not what we call ‘rain’. This is what we call ‘a holiday in Florida’. You can tell that British people are not used to receiving one month’s worth of rain in one minute by their willingness to wade through streets of untreated effluent without any apparent motive.

House of Pants is, of course, protected by the Thames Barrier so you needn’t worry about the tides rising to carry Barney away. Besides he’s working on learning to fly and has befriended Henry the heron and Colin the cormorant who have promised him that ‘swooping’ is the most fun you can have at forty-five degrees. Carp diem!

Summer, such as it is, also brings a flurry of blogospheric parlour games including ‘memes’ – a kindly person might let me in on the derivation of this term at some stage. What I do know is that they are usually invitations to provide insights about oneself via a list. There are, naturally, rules. Regular readers will be aware that I don’t really do rules. I figure why have a virtual world where there are rules – that has to be the ultimate in pointless self-discipline. Last summer I was invited to reveal seven or eight or ten interesting facts about myself - I can’t remember the exact number now, only that I got to 3b and changed the subject.

Well, it’s rained nearly all summer and last Friday House of Pants received two invitations for the same meme, one from dear friend Reading the Signs and one from new friend Dame Honoria Glossop. The challenge is to reveal eight ‘random’ facts about myself. This is, on the face of it, much easier than disclosing seven or eight or ten ‘interesting’ facts. I therefore disclose as follows:-


1. I often dream about buses.

2. I believe in Tuesdays.

3a. I am versatile with artichokes.

3b. Artichoke pasta is currently my favourite dish.

You know the rest.

As I pointed out to her Dameship Glossop, Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon is the new Theory of General Relativity, so there is no need to nominate further. Everyone who is going to be tagged has been so blessed.

Il pleure sans raison
Dans ce coeur qui s'├ęcoeure.

If you will excuse me I must return to pondering the origin of my discontent. I feel a large glass of Sauvignon Blanc coming on …

13 comments:

Reading the Signs said...

1. Il faisait beau aujourd'hui, n'est-ce-pas?

2. Je voudrais savoir aussi what it is that it is - the meme.

3. Quelle est cette odeur agreable?
Ah, c'est le fond d'artichaux pasta.

4a. While there is life there is nomination and (perhaps) meme.

4b. Down with Big Brother.

Apparently "factoids" are the thing, not insights. But thank you. Busses, eh? Heh!

x

That's so pants said...

Dearest Signs

What are you on and can I have some please?

xxx

Pants

Reading the Signs said...

co-proxamol, ma chere, and yes - until the end of the year after which they'll be unavailable.
x

Political Umpire said...

I like the rain. It might be needed to save England if the Indian batting machine comes to life. And it makes life far more comfortable for Mrs Ump (who really suffered with junior ump in 2005). And I am protected by the Thames Barrier too. And I am selfish.

That's so pants said...

Hi Signs

Oh! Ok. I will try to shoplift some from Boots next time I'm in the Narroway. Thanks

Hi Pumpie

You are right of course, rain does serve a purpose - what would Wimbledon be without it.

xxx

Pants

Janejill said...

Il faut cultiver son jardin, too; I know it, but I cannot do it..moi, j'adore les artichaux, surtout quand je suis en France.(?)
hmm Pants, I am so torn as I just love Barney (I Think) and M n M insists he would like me too. but, and this is too sad for words, I really really want a pro-active cat (hence my interest in Bengals) , when I say proactive, I do, of course mean 'loving and affectionate, as well as being more intelligent than me ' I get the feeling Barney is a very contented, totally independent little individual (apart from food topping up) Also, he may need more 'outside time' than I could offer....

That's so pants said...

Hi Jane Jill

Life is never easy with an owly-cat,I can assure you. I think we're back on track with the move. He's at least agreed to have a Magic Silver Rose rinse.

xxx

Pants

Janejill said...

So he can remain invisible for the journey?

That's so pants said...

Yes - the transformation into an Interactive Bagpuss. That reminds me, I have to sew that zipper into his stomach.

NMJ said...

hey pants, i love that you only got to 3b with the tag, i don't do them either, they freak me out a little. i say again, i prefer to reveal myself in other ways.

i love pasta with asparagus (& cream & parmesan).

i tried to get co-prox. last time i saw my GP, but she wouldn't give me it (i used to get it on repeat prescrip. til they banned it).

& janejill, i dig your reference to candide. one of my fav novels when i studied french about a hundred years ago.

x

That's so pants said...

Hi NMJ

3b is more or less my outer limit. I never have been into prescription drugs. I guess I've missed that boat, huh.

xxx

Pants

Reading the Signs said...

It's never too late, Pants, I have a stash and make you very good price - but I guess it's better to Choose Life.

(btw, Officer, that was just a joke, ok? I am clean as the driven snow).

That's so pants said...

Signs - you will get us all arrested.

xxx

Pants