Thursday, June 21, 2007

Elegantly Dressed Intentions


My grandmother was a BAG – a born again God-botherer. That’s not her in the photo by the way. This week's ‘elegantly dressed’ photo comes courtesy of The Morrison County Historical Society’s library of unidentified photographs. I have seen my grandparents’ wedding photo. It’s not dissimilar to this one. When we were young, my sister and I used to spend holidays with our grandparents in the country. The photo box was one of my favourite play things – neck and neck with my grandfather’s comprehensive collection of Disney comics – yes, this is how I know so much about Gladstone Gander, Gyro Gearloose and of course, the PM in waiting’s doppelganger, Scrooge McDuck.

‘Grandy’, as we children called him, was a Scot named Donald from the clan Campbell. ‘Mimi’, our grandmother, was second generation Australian from an English Navy family. They got married in 1928 – she in flapper frills and he in his Navy uniform. The photos of that wedding are as much a part of my childhood as gherkin and cheese chunks on sticks and creaming soda. But I don’t know where those photos are. One of my cousins will have them and they’ll show up somewhere, eventually. Meanwhile, I present an entirely different family’s ancestors’ wedding for your enjoyment. The unidentified photos from Morrison County were undoubtedly gleaned from a post-purchase loft sweep by new owners. Honestly, the things I’ve found (and left) in lofts would turn a museum’s toes purple.

One of my most noble intentions is to be a proper historian of my own experience, which is why I’ve always kept diaries. Recently, I’ve been presented with a challenge in that respect. The past filtered through the prism of the present doesn’t seem to work, please correct me if I'm wrong. I could tell you the lovely sepia-toned picture above was of my own dear grandparents. What would it matter to you if it wasn’t them? You wouldn’t care. It would be like a Disney ride through my life. We’re used to seeing ancestor pictures and accepting them at face value. We’re also used to visual representations that aren’t necessarily accurate. I absolutely don’t have a problem with that - unless I was trying to tell you that the people represented above are your grandparents. That would obviously be very nasty.

OK. So I know I need to go somewhere logical with this - hopefully, it is expected of me. To be honest, I can’t say that much about what is happening right now. I can only relate it to the great dilemma of my life – which is:-

The very second I publicly pledge to never, ever again be the ham in an ideological sandwich, an unswervable challenge arrives addressed to Miss Piggy from Two Slices of Bread.

I’ll keep you posted – yeah, right...


Picture from www.morrisoncountyhistory.org

10 comments:

Quink said...

I'm tired, but I enjoyed reading this very much. Alas, that's the most incisive comment I seem able to make at this hour...

Bwca said...

re "proper historian of my own experience, which is why I’ve always kept diaries."
I could bet confidently that they are as good as The Diaries Of Chips Channon, to which I am presently addicted.
That other addiction ... the dangerous one, Goggle
(see, it is so dangerous that I dare not name it correctly in case they find my comment and cut me off)
.... may reveal your lost photos to you, as genealogy is the biggest thing on the www (after Pronogarphy) ... and one of your family has surely posted all their research online by now.

and good luck with the
'Piggy and the Bread' dilemma.

That's so pants said...

Hi Quinkie - you did your best dear, now get some rest.

Hi bwca - actually my diaries are pants. I call everyone a cnut.

xxx

Pants

Reading the Signs said...

Has someone made you an offer you can't refuse? An offer of marriage? A huge sum of money for diaries in which you have spilled copious amounts of beans about the good, the bad and the ugly and your favourite recipe for arsenic soup? Look Pants, I am not quite the ticket at the moment, you'll have to help me out here. What is going on?

That's so pants said...

Dearest Signs - You are a reader of same in what sense exactly? Joking - you know that right?

My shabbily disguised agenda is this - I am pretending to be far more important than I actually am in the vain hope that it will fool people into frothing up into a clammering frenzy. If I wasn't so principled - I'd admit to hype. But I'm never likely to do that.

xxx

Pants

Reading the Signs said...

Pants, in the immortal words of Manuel from Fawlty Towers, "I know notheeeeng."

But I am quite prepared to froth up into a clammering frenzy. Consider it done.

Here's something: The imagined past reflects the lived present.

That's so pants said...

Hi Signs. Yep. That whole sepia-toned world really works for me. Thanks.

Janejill said...

Sometimes you are just too clever , even for me.(...)but I remember confessing in my diary that I loved Clifford; ( this was when I was 12 or so)now I know I didn't , but... which is accurate , my there and now description of my feelings at the time? Or my learned experience and remembered teens. Please don't delay revealing more -could it be... have you been asked to me a ghost writer??

That's so pants said...

Hey Jane Jill. I can play a song called 'I Remember Clifford' on the piano. I might do that later. Really, it's not that important, in the grand scheme of things... well it is important because the truth is always important... I'm sure I'll post on it eventually.

I wish someone would ask me to be a ghost writer - what fun that would be, or a ghost, or a writer by themselves - either would be fun also...

xxx

Pants

Bwca said...

clamour.


of course I realise it is more significant to actually be able to write, and then let SpellCheck cover the details.